Hen was acting weird, layed soft egg, and is still not acting normal? please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brienna, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Brienna

Brienna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    My hen is 21 weeks old and starting laying just about a week and a half ago. She was the first one to lay and has laid almost an egg a day, all were beautiful eggs. When I went to check on them in the run, she was acting strange, barely moving, and saw what looked like water coming out of her vent. She then layed a soft egg. She is still barely moving and when she does, she walks very slowly and is not the active like she usually is. I am watching her now and she is just standing there. Oh, and it seems like she is still contracting her vent. What can I do??? please help :(

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would suggest you give her a calcium supplement...any egg shells...Vitamin D3 or "tums" if you have any...fish ( tuna fish), egg yolk, broccoli...oyster shell...

Hope that sorts her out...

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Maybe she was egg bound passed part of the egg and needs to pass more. What do you feed her? What do you do for extra calcium?

1 person likes this.
  4. Brienna

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    We feed her layer feed and they have access to Oyster shells at all times. will she be able to pass it alone? is it normal that it takes some time? she is still walking around very slowly, but is drinking, eating, etc.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Give her a tums or human calcium pill and stick her in a bathroom full of steam.

-Kathy

6. Brienna

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    I'm just worried I should be doing something? or will it pass on its own? the girls should be going in the coop for the night in about an hour...should I just wait til morning? is it normal that she is feeling like this after passing a soft egg?

7. Brienna

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    I will try this thanks!

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would give her a calcium supplement...any of what I suggested may help her ...sometimes they need a little boost to help them..especially when they have only been laying for a short time...I am giving two of my turkens extra calcium right now as I have had a few soft shell eggs in the past few days...before that all was OK...they originally laid hard shell eggs...

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sometimes they can have another soft-shelled egg that they're trying to get out, and soft shelled eggs are harder to pass, especially if they're calcium stores are low.

-Kathy

10. Brienna

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    I crush it and just give her the whole thing? or just a bit? this is not harmful?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by