Hen was acting weird, layed soft egg, and is still not acting normal? please help!

Brienna

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Quebec, Canada
My hen is 21 weeks old and starting laying just about a week and a half ago. She was the first one to lay and has laid almost an egg a day, all were beautiful eggs. When I went to check on them in the run, she was acting strange, barely moving, and saw what looked like water coming out of her vent. She then layed a soft egg. She is still barely moving and when she does, she walks very slowly and is not the active like she usually is. I am watching her now and she is just standing there. Oh, and it seems like she is still contracting her vent. What can I do??? please help :(

I would suggest you give her a calcium supplement...any egg shells...Vitamin D3 or "tums" if you have any...fish ( tuna fish), egg yolk, broccoli...oyster shell...

Hope that sorts her out...

We feed her layer feed and they have access to Oyster shells at all times. will she be able to pass it alone? is it normal that it takes some time? she is still walking around very slowly, but is drinking, eating, etc.

I'm just worried I should be doing something? or will it pass on its own? the girls should be going in the coop for the night in about an hour...should I just wait til morning? is it normal that she is feeling like this after passing a soft egg?

I would give her a calcium supplement...any of what I suggested may help her ...sometimes they need a little boost to help them..especially when they have only been laying for a short time...I am giving two of my turkens extra calcium right now as I have had a few soft shell eggs in the past few days...before that all was OK...they originally laid hard shell eggs...

Sometimes they can have another soft-shelled egg that they're trying to get out, and soft shelled eggs are harder to pass, especially if they're calcium stores are low.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom