Hen was attacked by puppy

my12sidechicks

Hatching
Mar 14, 2021
Hi there, I’m a fairly new chicken mom, got my first pair one year ago and today I have a beautiful flock of 12.
Last Tuesday (5 days ago) my puppy got a hold of one of our girls. It happened when we weren’t home and it was dark when we got home. My husband went to lock up the coop and he found her huddled in the corner of our yard. So he picked her up and put her in the coop. The next morning, when I opened the coop I saw the damage done. It was pretty bad but she was happy, walking, eating and drinking. When I saw the wound, I picked her up and brought her inside. I gave her an Epsom salt bath to rinse the wound and sprayed some hydrogen peroxide on it. I got the Vetericyn + yesterday and so I rinsed her in an Epsom salt bath and then sprayed her with that.

she seems happy, talks to me when I check on her. She is eating and is drinking regularly. So my question is, when can she go back out with the flock? Today is day 5. And I just know she would be happier outside in the sunshine. But I don’t want her to get pecked at.

Thank you. Here’s a picture from today.

Attachments

• F5EFC12C-4AC3-42D7-8F81-CA796C6B8680.jpeg
    F5EFC12C-4AC3-42D7-8F81-CA796C6B8680.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 9
Nobody replied but just in case anyone out there ever reads this post I figured I’d update lol. Karen is doing great. I put her in a coop separate from the flock and let her get reacquainted and now she’s with everyone. She’s happy, and healed. I wonder if her tail end will ever look the same?

I'm sorry the knowledgeable people didn't chime in but am happy that Karen is healed and back with her flock. Now that you have experience, you'll have to be one of the helpers on the injury threads.;)

Back
Top Bottom