Hen was crowing! Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swimmom, Oct 20, 2010.

1. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have three hens. They are 1 1/2 years old. I know they're all girls because they all lay. This morning I was in the kitchen and heard loud crowing. The crowing went on for a good 1/2 hour. Why would a hen crow? This is not good as I'm in a subdivision and although the neighbors agreed to me having chickens, roosters were a no no. I don't want them thinking I have a rooster in the hen house!

2. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    My hen has been crowing lately too. I also have 3 hens, although mine are just 6-7 months old.

3. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    I have read that when you dont have a roo sometimes a hen will take on the role of being roo.. Maybe someone will come along and explain it better for you. It does happen sometimes and Im not sure if she will stop crowing or not.

4. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 10 hens, all laying eggs, about 13 months old.
    When I went out this morning to let the girls out into their run. The first one came out ,walked around alittle,flapped its wings ,streched out its neck and crowed just like a rooster. What a surprise, is this normal ?[​IMG]

5. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    OK, so if one of the hens is taking on the role of rooster, how can I persuade her to stop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by