hen wheezing not getting better-what to do?

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
for over a week, my hen has been wheezing and sounds like she has laryngitis. No other symptoms - eating, sleeping, pooping, laying, activity is fine. What's up? I've looked down her throat and don't see anything stuck there. She isn't worse, but I'm worried.
What to do. . .

How is your hen doing? It might help to put a little VetRX in her nostrils and down her throat as well as into her drinking water and see if that helps. If not you might want to try some Tylan, it works wonders for respiratory issues.

Thanks for responding.
She seems the same, still wheezy breathing and laryngitis, raspy voice, but acting normal. Where can you get vetrx or tylan? Can I get that at tractor supply or do I need to go to a vet? Are they liquids? How much would I use?
Sorry -- I am a novice with chickens and especially with the medical piece.

Don't apologize, we all have to start somewhere
big_smile.png
As for the Tylan and VetRX-our TSC store never has anything so you might want to call and ask them before going. Tylan comes in 3 forms, 2 injectible (50 and 200) and 1 water soluble. The Tylan50 injectible is the most affordable (200 is really strong, usually used for cows) and if your TSC does not have it you can get it online at www.firststatevetsupply.com for a very reasonable price as well as the VetRX. They offer express shipping which does cost more but Mr. Brown is really great about getting stuff out to you ASAP especially if you especially if you politely tell him it's an emergency situation in the message area.
If you have bantam chickens you will use 1/4cc (.25). Standards will need 1/2 cc (.5). You can give this orally by removing the needle or just under the skin at the back of the neck. Either way is fine. Give 5 to 7 days depending on how quickly or slowly she is improving. They usually start showing major improvement in 1-2 days. A good friend of mine also uses Gallamyacin in the water if the Tylan isn't working. That comes in a powder form and you can get it off the website too.
You can use the VetRX in the waterers by putting in a few drops before filling them, in their eyes if they are having eye issues, and down their throat/nose to help with congestion. It's also helpful to rub some on their comb and wattles as well as under the wing. Don't be worried if she sneezes a lot afterwards or if she is sleeping for a few hours after the Tylan. That is completely normal. Just imagine how a child would react after starting medication and expect the same from your chicken baby. If you need anything else PLEASE do not hesitate to ask, you are certainly welcome to email me too if need be. Good luck and please keep us posted!!!

Last edited:
With the Tylan, can you eat the eggs? I have two girls who are laying now -- the exact color size and shape eggs. I would hate to have to discard all the eggs, because I would be unable to identify them.
Thanks
smile.png
Paula

Paula it says there is no w/d period for the eggs if using the Tylan water soluble and 1 day for table birds but when using the injectible it is a period of 1 month. You might be able to find some tiny speckles or something on the eggs to be able to tell them apart if you haven't already checked for that type of stuff. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom