Hen wheezing

CrestedGirl

Polish Obsessed
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
Last night my 2.5 year old black cochin bantam hen was wheezing each time she took a breath. I hadn't noticed it the day before and started hearing it last night. She currently has a brood of 5 chicks that she has been raising ever since they hatched. I have been keeping a close eye on them too and I haven't heard any wheezing. The hens breath nor facial area has any sort of smell to it. She is very active, has a good appetite (purina pellets), drinking water, and has normal poo as well as a good body weight. We have put some antibiotics in her water and have given her some soaked bread to help move anything that might have been stuck. She hasn't wheezed at all this morning. She is inside in a crate and is warm. Could something stuck in her crop cause her to wheeze? Is this respiratory? I would like to get her back to her chicks as soon as possible. Thanks ~CG~

Last edited:
Sound like her? I cut and pasted this.)Coryza (previously known as things like a cold or roup) is caused by bacteria called Heamophilus paragallinarum, which primarily attacks the upper respiratory system, including the nasal passages. Swelling of the face, wheezing, sneezing, nasal discharge, conjunctivitis (including ‘bubbles’ at the corner of the eye), eyes glued shut, and open-mouth breathing are some of the more common symptoms. And they may appear singly or in various combinations. But the most telltale symptom is the unmistakable odor that is generated from the nasal discharge. Once you’ve smelled this odor, you’ll identify it every time. Additional symptoms unrelated to breathing can be a drop in production, reduction in fertility, diarrhea, and a decrease in water consumption. Although not as common, if rales are detected, then it is safe to assume that the lower respiratory tract is involved as well.
Quote:

sad.png

If you only heard her wheezing for a very short time just the one time, she is probably fine.

Also if there are no other symptoms, she is probably fine.

She could have had something stuck in her throat, yes.

How is she doing now?

Back
Top Bottom