Hen who never lays an egg?

HarryBun12

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Has anyone ever had a hen who never lays an egg? I have a gorgeous, robust light sussex, that is 14 months old and has never laid an egg. I keep saying she's so sweet and beautiful I don't care if she ever does lay an egg, but truth be told, I WANT HER TO EARN HER KEEP! She has done the "squat" on occasion, sits on the nest on occasion and her comb has been red since last October but still nothing. It wouldn't be possible for her to hide her eggs since my chickens only get to free range under my supervision (too many hawks and other critters) and I couldn't mistake her eggs for one of my other chickens'. I have a blue egg laying EE, a bantam RIR and Barnevelder that lays an egg with a distinctive ridge on the shell. I don't mind waiting, but I was just wondering.....

My hens get plenty of sunlight and get lots of exercise in their spacious run. If my other chickens weren't laying I would look more into environment or feed issues but they're all doing fine.

i have a barred plymouth rock almost a year old who has never laid yet. i was told that their vent area can be too small and some hens will never lay. there is a way to check this by feeling the bones down there - it should be about two fingers apart - but i don't know how to do it. well, know you're not alone. mine also is the prettiest but all she does is eat and look good! is this a pretty girl thing?

sylvia

Back
Top Bottom