hen will not leave nesting box

sandhillchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
North Carolina
I have a hen that is less than a year old that has been sitting in the nesting box constantly for about 2-3 days. Of course, she may have moved but I have not seen it and I have been checking frequently. What is wrong? Could she be egg-bound? I have heard of that but don't really know anything. HELP!

One of my new hens did that whe nI first got her, because the other hens where picking on her, and she was safe in there.

You can try blocking off the nsting box and supervising the other hens to make sure they are picking on her.

It might also be that the nest box is nice and warm compared to the rest of the coop. That's what's happening in our coop... A couple chooks sit in the next boxes all day, with or without eggs. When I evict them, they get all grumpy, and the straw is quite warm to the touch.

I have 2 that have been sitting in the nest boxes for weeks now. They come out for treats & then back in they go. They mostly sit on nothing but growl at you when you put your hand in there. Or if the big girls have laid their daily eggs they will change boxes & sit on those before I get out to gather eggs. Goofy aren't they...
tongue.png

Put your hand in there & if they growl & fluff, then they are broody.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom