Hen with a strange lump near her right thigh

6BeachChicks

🎄 Merry Christmas 🎄
Aug 30, 2021
My pet chicken liz has a big hard lump near her thigh. It is about an inch in circumference and very hard. Her behavior is fine. I have no clue how long it has been there because it is under her feathers.any thoughts? I will try to get pictures

You may want to post a picture, and look for an ingrown feather underneath it. Sometimes a feather will become ingrown and form a little abscess underneath. You can probe it with a sterile needle to see if there is a feather or any solid yellow pus.

058D2654-7672-42A7-9B56-134795674FEE.jpeg

Yes, I see the picture now. That looks fairly large. You could still try to probe it and see if you get just blood or pus and feather. Or see a vet. Tumors can be common in chickens.

I don’t feel comfortable probing it it seems hard and solid. My vet isn’t in until tuesday.

Do you think it has something to do with egg laying, she lays almost every day no problem.

How close to her vent is the lump? Is it soft or hard? Is it under the vent, or could she have a prolapse? It shouldn’t be a problem to wait until Tuesday to see the vet if it is not a prolapsed vent.

Back
Top Bottom