Hen with a tumor around her eye, Help !!!!

jeni1209

Chirping
6 Years
May 7, 2015
Tallahassee Fl
Hello I have a Ameracauna about a yr old. Her eye swelled up, and I tried all kinds of eye treatment, nothing worked. Took her to a vet, which eventually told me it's a tumor. I give her the meds. What I need to know is there any success at all, with relieving the swelling and recovery? Homeopathy even? Anything. I don't want to take her back to the vet, what she charged me was outrageous, I agreed to the charge but she was going to drain it and my chicky would be fine. But then said it was a tumor, and charged me the original charge. But I need help any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Can you post a picture of the eye? How long has this been going on? Is there any clear or foamy drainage inside the eye or has there been? Is the swelling hard, soft, or firm, and has it grown rapidly? Respiratory infections are the most common reasons for eye swelling, but peck wounds, tick or insect bites, and tumors or cysts are seen a lot here on BYC. If it is a tumor, there is probably nothing that can be done. A tumor usually feels hard or rough, where a clump of solid pus may feel soft or a little firmer. I remember helping someone last year who thought their rooster had coryza, a respiratory infection causing large swollen areas on an eye or face. He tried lancing it and squeezing it, antibiotics, but it grew and grew. Finally the vet said it was cancer and euthanized him. I'm so sorry that it might be a tumor. There are viruses in chickens, such as Mareks and leukosis that can cause tumors all over the body inside and out.

I was hoping she would pass on her own, 1 day she's eating and acting fine, the next she lethargy. I can't cull her, don't have the heart. Plus have never done it, and I know I cant

Can you have your vet euthanize him in the morning? Or do you have a family member or a neighbor who hunts who could do it? Quickly cutting the jugular with a sharp knife or using a hatchet is probably the fastest way. I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. It is hard to end a life, but we have to think of the chicken's suffering first. I have had to do this myself and it is not easy.

Back
Top Bottom