Hen with bad leg???

ChickenKiera

Songster
Oct 17, 2019
I have an old English game bantam hen who has eye problems so she can’t see very well. Today I noticed that she wasn’t walking around as much as she used to and she is limping a bit. She sometimes lifts her left leg up and doesn’t put it on the ground but she can put it down (her left not looking straight at her). Then I noticed that she lifted her left leg up to scratch her face but then her leg didn’t even touch her face, it just froze and her head just shaked. It happened a few times. I looked on the bottom of her foot and nothing is there. Is it something serious?

Might it be niacin deficiency? I recommend buying some Brewer’s yeast for chickens or going to the store to get a niacin supplement that can be crushed up and given in her food. I’m also wondering if she injured her leg in some way. I’d give it a few days and see if it starts to function better. If not, try giving some niacin. Please keep us posted!

Update: Today I checked on her and it look like her left foot is paralysed, I don’t know what you would call it, her foot just isn’t going flat on the floor. She can move both of her legs but her foot isn’t moving and she is like scrunching it up and walking on it. She is eating and drink and walking but when she steps on that foot it all gets squashed and she limps. How would I fix this, would I need to put a splint or something but if I do that I don’t want the other hens to peck it

Attachments

• 284E1975-F608-4441-BB82-396634910D08.jpeg
    284E1975-F608-4441-BB82-396634910D08.jpeg
    565.4 KB · Views: 3
Update: Today I checked on her and it look like her left foot is paralysed, I don’t know what you would call it, her foot just isn’t going flat on the floor. She can move both of her legs but her foot isn’t moving and she is like scrunching it up and walking on it. She is eating and drink and walking but when she steps on that foot it all gets squashed and she limps. How would I fix this, would I need to put a splint or something but if I do that I don’t want the other hens to peck it
Could she have Mareks Disease because she has vision impairment as well???

Back
Top Bottom