hen with black crusty vent

Brittany0309

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
I have a hen who had fly strike about three weeks ago. We solved her maggot problem but she hasn't laid since then so I checked her vent again today and it had a black crusted over scab looking thing. there were a few mites around it but nowhere else on her and I don't see any in the other girls either. I soaked her and peeled it off, doesn't seem to be anything going on underneath. wth. anyone have any idea what is going on with this chicken?!? oh, I googled gleet and it doesnt look like that.

It sounds as though you need to clean it up and put neosporin ointment on it to soften it and allow it to heal. There is a horse ointment sold at feedstores called SWAT that you can use to keep flies off since you may get flystrike again if she is left outside.

Wash it with warm water--actually a warm soapy soak in a tub for 20 minutes to soften it. Then I would trim away anything that looks dead like tissue till you reach pink. Reapply neosporin and keep it from drying out.

when I did it I pulled off the crust with tweezers after soaking and it was all pink tissue underneath. trim feathers with scissors.

Great, I know it was probably hard to do that to your chicken, but she may heal up well now. Keeping the neosporin on it may keep it from forming a hard scab again. Try the SWAT when she goes back outside.

Back
Top Bottom