hen with blue comb, bright yellow diarhea, lossing weight and slow

alaskanhenhouse

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
Wasilla Alaska
I've been searching everywhere for help with my flock. over all my flock production is down by 50% in the last month. lets put it this way i have 50 laying hens and now am only averaging 19 eggs a day. one hen i found with a blue comb and she is also leaving nearly glowing yellow diarhea (evidence on her vent feathers). She's lossing mass in the breast area too.

Anyone had any experience with anything like this? I have contacted most of my egg eating customers and put them all on temperary hold for now until i know what's going on here and how i can control this.

Most research i've come up with says treating with some type of antibiotics. Well, then the labels say not for laying birds.
barnie.gif

So far i haven't had any losses but would like to nip this before we do.

Also, if it comes to having to give antibiotics, can we still incubate the eggs since we can't eat them?

Your blue comb description caught my eye - I was reading one of my chicken books last night and it describes blue comb as one of the symptoms of Mycoplasma. It talks about it being a (mostly) respiratory disease - but it also says birds will become droopy and lethargic, show a reduced appetite and lose weight Rapidly.

I am NOT an expert. You might be able to google for more info. It says there are several types of this disease.
sad.png

Hang in there. Others might know more.

You're right, i read about that one too but she has no respiratory issue at all and she is eating just like normal. She is just a bit slower moving around than normal. I think she's lossing the weight because of the diarhea. I worry most about the rest becoming ill. I have no place to quarantine her as they are currently all filled with chicks.

good thought but yes, definately not egg bound. I was spotting the diarhea first and didn't think of it coming from the same hen until i gathered her up when i saw the blue comb and saw some hanging onto 4 or so feathers. It's a much brighter yellow than egg yolk too. Like bright canary yellow.

* It's BILE-TINTED, then, I bet! Have you started giving fluids by eyedropper?? Have you given electrolytes and/or vitamins in her water? Fed her any yogurt, ACV, hot mash, any of that? She's gotta be QUITE dehydrated. What's her normal feed/treats?? ARE YOU ABLE to get your hands on a tiny amount of *ABSOLUTELY PLAIN* CLAY KITTY LITTER?? We may be able to use it to slow the diarrhea about as naturally as possible, given your interests in natural care on your website.

Last edited:
I haven't forced anything into her. she is eating and drinking like normal. I add avian 2000 to their water. I feed them plain raw oats and non-soy layer mash. they do get occassional kitchen scraps but lately have had access to a newly thawed garden bed.

You think i should feed her some clay to help stop the diarhea? I can go to store tomorrow and see what i can find.

Is it just her? Could she have a high parasite load? That can really drain a bird of energy. Maybe get a fecal done? Maybe the new garden plot has lots of "reactivated" cocci and other things like worms.

So far it is just her with the dark comb and yellow droppings but there are a couple others that are starting to have diarhea also, but of brown/normal color.

Maybe the over all egg production is a different issue from her?

* Definitely drinking normally? And eating, too. What's her crop feel like and when was your last check for parasites, then? IF you use the clay, grind it first and only add a fat pinch to her food TWICE-- don't want her stopped up.

Back
Top Bottom