hen with broken egg internally

lindy

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Oregon
yesterday i found my young hen in the nest box, gave her time as i was planning on cleaning the coop and she was still there. Figured out she had a shell less egg and some of it was hanging out.

Managed to get a bit more out, but i know there is more in there. Not sure what to do. This happened yesterday, she did walk around a little, drank some water then went back to the nest box.

I put her in a kennel last night and this morning she didnt eat any food. Lots of egg pieces in the shaving. The day before she laid a normal egg. they have free choice oyster shell and are on a good layer feed. I do have too many roos(four roos and 15 hens) which could cause some stress. I only have nuflor for an antibiotic, should i give her a couple shots? she isnt eating. I am going to give her some yogurt tonight.

Give human calcium citrate with vitamin D orally now. Just put it in her beak to swallow. Other sources of calcium are okay, Tums, or other calcium tablets. The ca citrate is found at Walmart, Equate brand and Caltrate tablets. Good to have around for egg problems. Hopefully, she will pass any more shell and egg parts. A soak to clean up her vent would be good. The calcium citrate can be given daily for up to a week, to hopefully harden her shells.

i have reptile cal, not sure if i have any other type at the moment, might find a tum, what about goat milk?

Oh no! Poor girl!
Tbh I’m really not sure - I was just asking for help about a similar problem, koala died yesterday though. Hopefully your hen will be okay! ❤️
Very sorry for your loss.

I can't say enough about Calcium Gluconate when @Amiga had one of her ducks egg bound the vet gave her a shot of Cal Glu and she rec using it if this happened again so she shared with the forum and most of us keep it in the frig just in case. It works to cause contractions to get the egg moving down and out. Sometimes it can take multiple doses but it does work unless there are other complications. I've used it with chickens and ducks. TSC usually carries it.

Back
Top Bottom