Hen with broken hip/tendon?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carolthom, Apr 2, 2015.

1. carolthom

carolthom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    I posted last earlier in the week about my hen that is limping. She has been holed up in the coop not wanting to walk, but is still alert and eating/drinking great. Today, I got her out to inspect her more and I noticed that her upper leg, all the way to her hip area, comes too far back when she puts pressure on it. It almost looks like it's out of socket. I felt the hip joint really well and it feels like her other leg, so I don't think that's the problem. I couldn't feel a break anywhere, so maybe the tendon is torn? She lets it dead hang when I pick her up, but keeps it under her when she is sitting. She started hopping around on it a little over 2 weeks ago, still wanting to forage. This past weekend she finally gave it up and has been in the coop ever since. I plan on leaving her out in the coop to heal as long as she stays put. I'm feeding her twice a day on top of having food out there all day. Is there anything I could be doing, or something I have misdiagnosed? Can this heal on its own?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Leg problems are difficult to diagnose and to treat. Tendon ruptures can happen in chickens with leg deformity as they grow. Slipped tendon can happen with injury, as well as from hatch. You could try a chicken sling to get her up while letting her leg rest. Here are some examples:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. carolthom

Mar 3, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. How long would I need to keep her in a sling?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would treat her week to week. A sprain or break could take 2-3 weeks to heal. It mostly depends on if it is one of those or a ruptured tendon. If it is the latter, there may not be any improvement. I would also get some poultry vitamins from TSC or your local feed store to put in her water or feed. Lameness cn be very hard to treat, but I hope your hen improves.

5. carolthom

Mar 3, 2014
    Thanks, will get the vitamins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by