hen with bumble foot and weird laying...?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
I have a 1 1/2 yr. old easter egger who i have been dealing with bumble foot for a little while now. About a month ago i cut open the bumbles (she had one on the top of her foot and two on the bottom of her feet) and removed as much puss as possible and then packed it with neosporin. The bumble on the top of her foot pretty much went a way but the two on her foot pads got smaller but still were here. I didn't do a great job keeping her feet clean afterwards because she kept taking the bandage off so maybe thats were things went wrong. After the scabbed over they appeared to start slowly growing larger. Now her limp is back and the bumbles are about as large (maybe a bit larger actually) as they were when i opened them.
But thats not all, she also seems to be having some laying problems. As of a week or two ago I had been getting 2 or 3 eggs with no shell just a membrane. I also would find a eggs with no shell or membrane (just a runny egg) under the roost. I discovered it was this hen when i saw her squatting in the nest box with white and yolk running out her bottom. I also found a few papery shells under the roost but never on the same day as the shell less eggs. Right under her vent is big clumps of poop all dried onto her feathers which probably has something to do with her attempts to lay.
I was thinking maybe the odd eggs are caused by her being under stress with the bumble foot but really have no idea. Do you think they are connected? Something else worth mentioning is that this same hen has always laid eggs that have clumps of calcium deposits (bigger than a typical calcium deposit you might see on an egg) molded onto the shell. maybe that has something to do with her laying?
I'm going to go back and try to again remove as much puss from her bumble as i can and see if that is effective. I will be sure to confine her to an area and really keep her feet bandaged up.
I have some penicillin on hand and was wondering if giving her some might help combat the staph infection?
Is there anything I can do for her to help with these weird eggs?
Thanks
big_smile.png

Good morning!

I'm sorry your girl is having issues. I'm not sure if the stress from bumblefoot is causing her laying issues, but it very well could be. I would be sure she has access to oyster shell. When you soak her foot, go ahead and give her a bath to clean up her behind.

A couple of my EEs had a bumblefoot issue couple of months ago, and I had to cut into one a couple of times before I successfully removed all of the infection. I used no-hurt would wrap (the kind that just sticks to itself) all around her feet and in between her toes. She managed to keep it on for a few days despite picking at it. I kept soaking her feet and re-wrapping them each time the bandages came off. I would keep treating her feet with Neosporin rather that administering antibiotics, but that's up to you.

I hope she feels better soon!

My GLW had trouble with bumble foot on both feet. I took her to the vet and he pulled out some "bumbles". He gave me animax ointment, betadine, vet wrap, cotton, etc. He also prescribed baytril. Cleaned her up every day ( soaked her feet in epsom salts) and she was looking good but then it came back on one foot. Big swollen areas between her toes. Back to Vet who drained the area. Again cleaning and bandaging but again came back but worse. This went on for a few months, April to July. Vet decided to try opening up the swollen area from the top and he got 2 ( 1 from each area) about 1/4 to 1/2 inch "bumbles out". The "kernel" was growing a root which caused the toes to swell. In between the vet visits, I found chicken shoes. After Dr. Bob cleaned her up and wrapped her feet ( other foot started again), we put on her chicken shoes. They really helped in keeping her foot clean and she has not had a recurring issue since July. Dr. Bob also suggested to wrap the roosts. I got some inexpensive indoor/outdoor carpet and they girls love it. He also suggested to lower the roost in the coop as she is a heavier breed and jumping onto the floor put too much stress on her feet. I also changed the flooring from shavings to sand. So far , so good.

I am sorry I can't assist you with the egg issue, but I hope your girl's foot get better.

The white area between her toes is very swollen..can't see too well in the pic. Eventually turned very red.
66234_img_9204.jpg

The first time around with bumblefoot.
66234_img_9203.jpg

http://indoorducks.com/shoeinfo.html

Back
Top Bottom