Hen with bumblefoot

6BeachChicks

🎄 Merry Christmas 🎄
Aug 30, 2021
My hen Vicki has a mild case of bumblefoot. I don’t have pictures but it’s a very small, brown scab looking thing. It doesn’t feel warm or infected or anything but I noticed it when she was limping on one foot. I soak and then pull off the brown thing right? What should I wrap it with? A vet is an option if we need it but if it’s easy to treat we don’t mind doing it at home. I can get pics this afternoon.

Pictures are always very helpful with these. Some very small and shallow lesions can sometimes be treated with just topical treatments and wrapping til it resolves. If it's deeper then removing the scab/lesion and cleaning it out is necessary. To remove the scab/lesion you can either soak the foot in warm epsom salt water to soften it up, or you can apply decolorized iodine (not the same as betadine-most first aid sections will have it) and wrap it over night and that will soften it up and make removal easier. Then apply plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment and wrap to keep it clean and dry. Change bandaging and reapply ointment as necessary. Depending on severity I will change daily until it's healing and then go to every second or third day when it's healed enough. I keep the foot wrapped until it's completely healed up.

Ok we did a surgery because she was limping and seemed in pain. (sorry no pics!) We soaked her foot and gently peeled the plug off. It came clean off no blood or stringy stuff. We cleaned the wound and wrapped it in a bandage that sticks to itself but not the “cut”. There’s no cut just an indent but we know she might step in poop. She is still limping though, is that normal?

Will this work
5391C286-E056-4287-A07D-19B58008600E.jpeg
C695A6DF-5ECF-47DB-95BB-074494BF9A41.jpeg

Got it. She can chicken around with her flock though right? I will put a towel on the roost and help her down in the mornings.

Back
Top Bottom