Hen with chest rattling and occasional sneeze...help!

walkerkm

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2009
Ma
Hello-
I have read a bunch of other posts about this same subject, but would like to get some information on my specific issue.
I have 9 hens all at laying age. 3 of the 9 have never layed an egg since i bought them, for whatever reason.

I live in MA in the weather has been all over the place...one day it's 70 the next it's 15. yesterday we had 50 degree temps with rain and humidity and today it's about 26 degrees so far. This crazy weather has been like this for the last 2 months. I'm sure that the change in temps must affect the chickens and their health.

My girls have had a little sneeze for the past month with no other issues or symptoms-they are eating, drinking, laying eggs and are active and friendly. I have one that i noticed has a rattle or congested noise. I would like to get her well asap. I have searched for a vet that specializes or treats chickens, but cannot find one here in MA.

I have read other posts suggesting to give an antibiotic, which i am willing to do, but need to know the correct one to give her. Of course, i would love to give an all natural one, but not sure if that will help and clear her up. I am currently putting about 1-2 teaspoons of ACV that i purchased at Trader Joe's in their water. Not sure if this will help or if i need something stronger.

I checked the TSC website and found DURAMYCIN 10 SOLUBLE POWDER ANTIBIOTIC. Should i use this? If i do can all my other hens drink the same water with this in it? Can i eat the eggs if i give this?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Kelly

I've read lots of posting in here, some have use Tylan 50 injecting to the neck of the chicken. I have one rooster and one young hen sneezing, what I gave them so far are VetRx applied to the chicken nostril and 3 drop into their mouth and one Antibiotic one tablet. They have been threatment for 2days, the condition seems to get better; they seems to be sneezing less and less bubble from their eyes so far. I will keep doing this for 5 days before I try Tylan50. BTW VetRx have mint flavor like Vicks or Tiger Balm.

Hope this helps,

Terramyacin is used for lung congestion in cows, goats, horses, etc. It comes in humongous horse tablets that are very bitter and are called 'Scours' tablets. I have used it myself for bad bronchial congestion twice. (too hard to figure dose for a chook) My youngest son has too for acute bronchitis. Point is, it is not going to be that harmful for a little interval so I would not throw the eggs away unless the mfr says to. Good to give them yogurt after antibiotic, same as for humans. Saurkraut or Kefir is really good probiotic too. Repopulates the friendly bacteria in their digestive system that are damaged by antibiotics if injected or oral.

Anything or anyone that takes antibiotics should take probiotics for a while afterwards for repopulation of gut flora.
smile.png

I am using Duramycin 10 in my chickens water this week. It is only day 3 so I have a few days to go yet but I can tell things are a little better. Less chickens are sneezing during the day and one chicken's eye is completely clear now. I was at the end of my rope trying to clear up their sneezing, wheezing and bubbly eyes. Our weather has been like yours for the most part, all over the place and very wet. I tried the natural ways of treating them, but they were not improving. This has been going on since the end of October and I just couldn't stand to see them not at 100%. I don't like using antibiotics and went back and forth about what to do, but in the end, I just thought I had to try. We don't have any vets around here who know a thing about chickens, so I have to pretty much go on the advice of others and what I read and feel in my gut.

I gave them yogurt the first day and again today and I'm going to give the more at the end of the 7 days. It says on the package that you can use it for up to 14 days, I hope I don't have to, but I will if needed. It is not suggested you eat the eggs for up to 3 weeks after discontinuing the Duramycin, so I'm just tossing them. It's killing me, lol but I need to try and get my flock healthy. They never stopped eating or drinking or acted lethargic or sick...just all congested and yucky so I feel lucky there. I know so many people have lost chickens due to these symptoms lately.

I hope you have good luck! I'm hoping for the same
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom