Hen with clogged air sac

Hennyscoop

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2022
Hello my husband and I started the backyard flock about a year ago. This past Christmas he got me two blue Ameraucana hens. As soon as I saw them I knew they were sick. They have been quarantined for 3 months now. Been to the vet several times they started with treating a sinus infection for both of them. One is fine now but the other one still has swelling and irritation around her lower left eye area. Sometimes she will also discharge mucus out of her mouth. Our vet said that it's because her air sac is clogged and it is blocking her ability to clear it naturally. He also said it will most likely be a lifelong condition from her being so sick when we first got her. I asked him if it was okay to release her into the rest of the flock and he was pretty much indifferent about it. Said I don't know she might get them sick she might not. Obviously I need to look into getting a different vet but that would ask the community here my real question

Is it ok to put a hen with this condition with the rest of our flock? If not what should I do with her she's super sweet and otherwise healthy as far as we can tell. We did discuss euthanasia but the doctor said she was not sick enough to let go and really don't want to do that to her. He said there's pretty much nothing else they can do and she will just have to live with it the rest of her life.

Any advice or past experiences from you folks would be much much appreciated.

The first photo is Clementine who is still having issues. The second photo is Gertrude who had the same condition when we first got her.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20220317_212902995_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220317_212902995_HDR~2.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220317_212940373_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220317_212940373_HDR~2.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom