hen with comb flopped over suddenly

veronica2368

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 26, 2007
newville pa
Hi all,
I have a barred rock hen that is about 6 years old who has never ever had an illness. we raised her from a chick. I noticed a few days ago, that her comb had flopped over..hers has always stood straight up. Last night when i locked them in their coop...she was not up on the roost yet. I dont know if maybe she just had not gotten up there yet, or is she was not feeling right.
I threw out scratch and some other grains this morning and she ate some but walked around and looked for other stuff mostly. Not sure what could be wrong with her. she is not skinny. I felt her breast bone and i thought it felt pretty good...she didnt seem thin.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what i could to help her out before she gets sicker if she is sick?
Veronica

She could have gotten pecked on the comb by another chicken causing the comb to flop over. That happened to one of my hens, she got pecked by a mean hen on the back of her head where the comb starts and now it lays flopped over. Vitamins and electrolytes never hurts maybe you could try adding some to her water. Is she showing any signs of being ill? Are her droppings normal or runny?

I think her droppings are normal, she doesnt have any excessive amount of stuff on her backside....other than the normal little bit and it appears normal. I will pick up some vitamins and electrolytes today and add it to their water. I didnt notice any mars on her comb...she is actually almost at the top of the pecking order and the top chicken and her are best buddies. but i will keep an eye on that too. thanks so much for the reply.
veronica

Your welcome wish i was more help. I would say give her the vitamins and electrolytes and just keep an eye on her she doesn't sound like she is sick at all. Best of luck to you
big_smile.png

Edited for spelling (not enough coffee yet)

Last edited:
She'a a 6 year old hen. As such she's a senior citizen & what's wrong with her is she's getting old. I know, sometimes chickens live much longer but not all of them.

Back
Top Bottom