Hen with cracked beak

well she seems to be able to eat and drink. I put her back in the coop last night so we'll see how she fairs. She doesn't seem destressed by it. She was wandering around and went for a nesting box and started arranging it how she likes so we are gogint to give her a chance.
Still if anybody has some thoughts we'd appreciate it. Her top beak is at about 30degree angle off alignment with her bottom beak

ok just got these pics this morning.
59365_brokebeak2.jpg

59365_brokebeak.jpg

Hello, valley ranch. I don't have any experience with cracked beaks in chickens, but I did find some information for you. It sounds like the injury can repair itself by "growing out" if it is not too severe. I really can't tell from looking at your picture how deep it is. Since you say she is eating and drinking, I would just keep an eye on her and watch for worsening or signs of infection. If I saw either I would take her to a vet. I don't know if a topical antibiotic such as neosporin would work or not. I would probably try it if this were my hen. I hope this helps - good luck to both of you! http://www.avianweb.com/brokenbeaks.html

Can you tell if that crack and mis alignment is just the beak cuticle and "nail", or is it her beak bone? If it is her bone, it may not heal right and she may end up with a cross bite. If it is just the outside "nail" of the beak, it will grow out.

If she is eating and acting fine, doesn't lose weight or get an infection (if the bone is broken), she should be fine. Just keep an eye on her.

thanks for the link to the beak injuries.
Sorry I haven't gotten bakc here either. The beak seems to be healing. I couldn't tell what part bone or cuticle was injured but it is growing back. She is eating fine. We just had to open the feeder so she could scoop not peck. The roo also feeds her. He drops bugs and food into her beak for her. There is/was no sign of infection and it originally got a big scab on it so we left it be figuring that was a better protector from infection than anything we could do.
But as I said it is healing.
She dropped no weight at all.
She went off laying for about 3 days and now is back to normal.
We'll keep you posted.
I try and put pics up tomorrow so you cna see her healing.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom