Hen with crooked head and bubbly watery eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Birdfeathers123, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Birdfeathers123

Birdfeathers123 Out Of The Brooder

Hi Everyone,

I have a 5 mo old hen who was born with a crooked head. At about 1 mo old, she developed bubbly/watery eyes, but no other symptoms (and eyes are not swollen). I've tried everything to figure out what she has. I originally thought respiratory disease, so I treated with Tylan50. That did nothing, so I treated with vetrx thinking it was eye worm, but no improvement. I've noticed that the vetrx does help clear her eyes up for about a day, but then it comes right back.

The closest poultry vet is 1.5 hrs away, and I'm thinking about driving over there to see what's going on. However - I'm starting to wonder if her watery/bubbly eyes are due to her deformed head? Because her head is crooked, one eye is stretched out a bit and that is the eye that bubbles the most.

I'll probably end up taking her to the vet, but was wondering whether anyone has has a chicken with a crooked head, and has had this problem.

Thank you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Birdfeathers123

I looked into crooked neck and it doesn't look like she has symptoms - her neck seems pretty straight. Is there anything else I should look for? I tried putting vitamins in her water (vitamin supplement from tractor supply), but it didn't seem to do anything. However, I can try providing vitamin water again. Thank you for your advice!

I attached some pictures below to show the two sides of her face - the first one is the longer side to her curved face (you can see the eye is stretched out a bit), the the second is the other side which is a little "smooshed" because of the crookedness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The vitamins were more for wry neck, but are still good for her. I think it still might be a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma, but sometimes coop ammonia level can cause burning of the eyes. Here is a list of eye problems: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031

5. Birdfeathers123

Thanks a ton for all your help! I'll look into it more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by