Hen with crusty nasal discharge

Harun

Songster
Apr 10, 2021
I don't know when this happened, but one of my hens has some weird crusty discharge or something clogging her nostril.
She's not lethargic and seems normal, but that stuff near her nose os disgusting.
I don't know what to do.
Any help is appreciated.
Here's a picture:

Attachments

• JPEG_20210924_191135_8438569301439874385.jpg
    JPEG_20210924_191135_8438569301439874385.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 54
Can you try to wash that off first softening with a little soapy water or hydrogen peroxide and Q Tips? Repeated cleaning with those and a wooden toothpick can gently clean the nostril. Have you seen any bubbles in eyes, sneezing or other symptoms?

Can you try to wash that off first softening with a little soapy water or hydrogen peroxide and Q Tips? Repeated cleaning with those and a wooden toothpick can gently clean the nostril. Have you seen any bubbles in eyes, sneezing or other symptoms?
No, but my Rooster that leads the flock she's in has had bubbly eyes.
Haven't witnessed any sneezing though.
Could this be a type of respiratory disease? I was suspecting mycoplasma or something.

Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days. Only mix by adding water to the dry powder or it will not mix. Change solution every 3 days or more often.

Yes, that might be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) That is only a guess without testing. Tylosin (tylan) powder may help treat symptoms, but only give it to birds with symptoms in their water for 3-5 days. Here is a link for it online:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
I've tried to peel it off and it seems like it's just a scab.
The skin under it is raw and has a cut.

Maybe she was pecked or injured on something sharp? If you have some antibiotic ointment, I would apply it a couple of times a day.

Maybe she was pecked or injured on something sharp? If you have some antibiotic ointment, I would apply it a couple of times a day.
Would Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Poultry Care for Pecking Wounds, Cuts, Frostbite, and Vent Prolapse work?

Back
Top Bottom