Hen With Diarrhea?

Aug 18, 2020
My hen Aila is acting odd, skittish, puffed up, and is making an odd chirping noise (almost the same noise my Buff Orpington makes when she’s broody and upset I blocked off the nesting boxes) Aila also had some light yellow/white runny poop. It was almost slimy and the other hens tried to eat it. I also noticed some lose, watery poop and some watery cecal poops. She keeps going in the coop to roost in the middle of the day. She seems off and isn’t interacting with the others like she usually does. She’s almost avoiding them. When she gets off the roost she tries to lay and egg with no success. She’s pooping (runny) so I don’t think she’s likely to be egg bound. I just came back from a trip and my chicken sitters took great care of the girls BUT there were earwigs and other bugs in the waterer and the water was gross and yellow. Could contaminated water cause these symptoms? I also noticed a cracked blue egg (which means it was from her or our other EE Penny) could this be related at all? How would one go about treating all of this? The other hens seem fine so far. Thank you!

Glad to hear that!
This was also her first time on well water
(We were on city water before we moved) and I was bringing the girls filtered jugs of water but while I was gone my chicken sitters used well water and still had it in their waterer when I came back. The others seemed fine with this change but could this cause an upset stomach? I started buying filtered jugs again and she’s back to her perky self. Should I slowly introduce the well water or was the problem something else? Also, should I be concerned about her not laying? Between her and my other EE I usually get about 2 blue eggs everyday (or every other day at the least) now I’m either getting one or none a day. She’s molting and I read this can slow down egg production but this has been going on for 4-5 days and I’m worried she’s egg bound. She seems fine but I just want to make sure that’s not a concern. Thanks!

This was also her first time on well water
(We were on city water before we moved) and I was bringing the girls filtered jugs of water but while I was gone my chicken sitters used well water and still had it in their waterer when I came back. The others seemed fine with this change but could this cause an upset stomach? I started buying filtered jugs again and she’s back to her perky self. Should I slowly introduce the well water or was the problem something else? Also, should I be concerned about her not laying? Between her and my other EE I usually get about 2 blue eggs everyday (or every other day at the least) now I’m either getting one or none a day. She’s molting and I read this can slow down egg production but this has been going on for 4-5 days and I’m worried she’s egg bound. She seems fine but I just want to make sure that’s not a concern. Thanks!
No clue about the well water. I doubt it could cause such drastic issues, but maybe it did. You could try slowly mixing in the well water a little at a time.
How old are your hens? What is the weather like by you? Is it very hot?
As long as she is acting fine, I would not worry about the eggs. My EE suddenly stopped laying for about a week because it was really hot. She started again when it cooled off. Molting will also impact laying. My girls really slow down a lot during that time.

No clue about the well water. I doubt it could cause such drastic issues, but maybe it did. You could try slowly mixing in the well water a little at a time.
How old are your hens? What is the weather like by you? Is it very hot?
As long as she is acting fine, I would not worry about the eggs. My EE suddenly stopped laying for about a week because it was really hot. She started again when it cooled off. Molting will also impact laying. My girls really slow down a lot during that time.
Thank you so much! My girls are all 1 year old. We live in OR and it’s been hot lately. They were all fine during the first heat wave( 118 degrees!) and most of the girls laid everyday! It was in the 80’s and 90’s when she stopped laying the past few days. Thank you so much, I was very concerned!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom