Hen with droopy head, wings and tail but has survived for months!

That's what I'm thinking. There are also vitamin deficiencies that can result in changes to the neck shape, but based on how long she has been like this, and that she is doing better, I don't think that's the cause.

Would you say she's actively losing weight, or just not putting any on? I'd just monitor her, perhaps weigh her weekly, or every other week. If she's losing weight, it may be worth testing for worms, or perhaps adjusting her diet/feed routine. If she's eating plenty, staying about the same and isn't severely underweight, I wouldn't be as worried.

Her quality of life is the most important thing, the fact she is able to preen is good. Is she able to get around, in and out of the coop? If so, I wouldn't be too worried about her, just keep an eye on her weight etc :)
I think she stays the same weight but it’s hard to say, I shall weigh her weekly like you say and make sure she’s not getting worse. She can definitely get in and out of the coop and she is in different places within the enclosure throughout the day. After we treated her scaly legs she became much more active so they must have been hurting her some. I really appreciate your help, at last I have some idea of what might be wrong with her!

I would try to give her higher calorie dense food, like raw yolk and meat, a vitamin e capsule, squirt it into her beak and half a b complex pill. Do this daily for a month and evaluate her health.
Okay thanks for all your help and advice! Do you think a sprinkle of a horse vitamin E supplement would be safe or should I get a specific one for chickens? I gave her left over scrambled eggs for breakfast today which she enjoyed:)

Okay thanks for all your help and advice! Do you think a sprinkle of a horse vitamin E supplement would be safe or should I get a specific one for chickens? I gave her left over scrambled eggs for breakfast today which she enjoyed:)
Human grade capsules, generic brand is what I use. I'm sure the horse ones would work too, I just squeeze it into their beak. It's clear thick goo.

did you check for any other parasites? Her feathers seem to be very loosely arranged (not tight to her body).

Back
Top Bottom