Hen with enlarged "bottom"

dhalle

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 17, 2011
What is wrong with my hen? Her bottom is swollen/enlarged. I do not know the correct terminology of the area, it is where the egg comes out of. The feathers are missing from that area. She is walking and eating, not laying eggs. What is it and what can I do to resolve the issure? Thank You Denise

What is wrong with my hen? Her bottom is swollen/enlarged. I do not know the correct terminology of the area, it is where the egg comes out of. The feathers are missing from that area. She is walking and eating, not laying eggs. What is it and what can I do to resolve the issure? Thank You Denise
welcome-byc.gif

I hate to say it, but your hen probably has EYP, cancer and/or ascites. Get some KY Jelly, gloves and gently do an exam to check for fluid and/or masses. If it's just fluid, you might be able to drain some, but the long-term prognosis is not good.

Seems to be going around... I just lost my 5th in 8 weeks to reproductive issues.

One of my girls was the same.
Turns out she was egg bound... I soaked a wash cloth in warm water and held it on the swollen area.. also put baby oil on her "vent" (that is where eggs come out)

Back
Top Bottom