Hen with eye discharge and feeling a little down

Kuilima

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2019
Hawaii
my 9 mo old Silver Laced Wyandotte hen has been dealing with discharge (with some pus) from her eyes off and on. Started first in the left eye, we saw her squinting and gunk in corner of eye, we cleaned and applied a drop of VetRx for poultry into eye and rubbed on wattles/head as well for 3 days. It improved and she is clear on the L side now. However 8 days later and her R eye is doing the same thing! She acts feverish (slows down, lays around and just looks like she feels lousy) while either eye is gunky, and she rubs it on her wing or scratches at it with her foot but otherwise no nasal discharge,and no coughing or sneezing.We are again using the Poultry VetRx, but I’m worried that I should/could be doing more. why did it come back... why only one eye at a time...??
Mahalo for the help

9 mo old Silver Laced Wyandotte hen has been dealing with discharge (with some pus) from her eyes off and on. Started first in the left eye, we saw her squinting and gunk in corner of eye

8 days later and her R eye is doing the same thing! She acts feverish (slows down, lays around and just looks like she feels lousy) while either eye is gunky, and she rubs it on her wing or scratches at it with her foot but otherwise no nasal discharge,and no coughing or sneezing.
Can you post some photos?
How long have you had her?
Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently?

Flush the eye with saline, remove the pus and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. Do this 2-3 times a day.
There are numerous causes of eye infections - respiratory disease, getting dirt/debris in the eye, environment like poor ventilation and a scratch/peck to the eye are a few common causes.

If she seems sleepy and not very active with this eye discharge, it may be a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. Do you notice a bad odor around her face? It would be good to look for any foreign body in her eye, and if there is any pus in the eye, to get it cleaned out. @Wyorp Rock has given good advice on cleaning the eye. If you suspect MG or coryza, antibiotics may be necessary. Tylan or tylosin are good for treating MG, and sulfa antibiotics are better for coryza. Do you have a vet or access to getting an antibiotic online?

Can you post some photos?
How long have you had her?
Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently?

Flush the eye with saline, remove the pus and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. Do this 2-3 times a day.
There are numerous causes of eye infections - respiratory disease, getting dirt/debris in the eye, environment like poor ventilation and a scratch/peck to the eye are a few common causes.
We have cleaned eye of any pus/discharge etc... but I’m waiting for my order of terramycin to come in shipping to Hawaii can suck at times.
I will get photos tomorrow. And pics of her accommodations too

Back
Top Bottom