Hen with feathers missing on wings, won't grow back...looks painful..

Wild Indigo

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 27, 2011
Hi, I just joined this forum and am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on one of our hen's issue. We have 9 hens of mixed breeds and all seem to be rather healthy. One of our smaller White Plymouth mixes, Brie, has developed something on her wings that has lasted for a few weeks. At first we thought she was molting, like all the others did a few months back, but her feathers are not growing back and she isn't missing any other feathers. She acts fine, eats normally and seems like herself except for 2 painfully looking bald spots on each of her wings. I'm going to post pics and hope someone else has seen this before in their birds. I would like to be able to treat her soon, as its cold out and looks like it hurts.

114604_brie_both.jpg

We don't have a rooster and we haven't seen any of the other hens plucking her unless they're doing it at night in the coop...

This looks like a protein/vitamin deficiency. I would increase her protein as fast as you can and her feathers should start to grow back once you do that.

The protein will help, but I believe she is being pecked by the others. It appears she is growing them back, but as they come in, the others are pecking them. Notice how the feather shafts remain but the body of the feather is gone? I vote she's being picked on.

Mites, or is she doing it to herself, some fowl do pull their feathers. Perhaps another hen is doing it or a rooster.

My australop last spring went broody, she lost her feathers on wings, finally, this November after her first heavy moult feathers are growing back.

Is she getting enough nutrients, meaning is she being bullied when she eats??

There has to be someone with more experience in this group that can hellp

I also found that the magazine BAckyard Poultry has a question and answer section, I had a problem last year, they answered almost immediately

I subscribe, but, that does not make difference, perhaps they can help

OH, try poultrypedia.com vet info

Back
Top Bottom