Hen with head laying sideways

Oldgreymare

Chirping
Jun 11, 2021
First, I’d like to say hello. I am new here and new to raising chickens. Yesterday, I found one of my hens with her head laying sideways. I have seen the stargazing chicken and she does not look like that. Her head just hangs to one side. She occasionally moves it and seems ok for a couple of seconds. I moved her to the “ not doing too good“ pen. I will get pictures when I go out this morning. What could cause this?

Do you have a picture? It sounds like wry neck (torticolis is the term in humans.) It is a neurological symptom, and can be caused by head or neck injuries, a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, and is seen in certain diseases that affect the brain. It is good to give 400 IU of vitamin E daily, along with 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B complex for extra thiamine. Make sure that she is eating and drinking normally or she will need to be fed. I would leave her with her flock, unless they are attacking her.

I will get pictures today. Where do I find the vitamin E? In liquid form. She is in with her sister who was getting pecked by the others. They are both leghorns and 6 months old.

Get the human vitamins , E comes in a soft gel that you can either pop into the beak to swallow, or puncture it with a fork and put it in some food. The B complex tablet can be halved or quartered, and crushed into food or a spoonful of water.

Do you have a picture? It sounds like wry neck (torticolis is the term in humans.) It is a neurological symptom, and can be caused by head or neck injuries, a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, and is seen in certain diseases that affect the brain. It is good to give 400 IU of vitamin E daily, along with 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B complex for extra thiamine. Make sure that she is eating and drinking normally or she will need to be fed. I would leave her with her flock, unless they are attacking her.
Hello again. I have brought my chicken with wry neck into the house. How do you feed them? So far I am hand feeding and using a syringe to give water and vitamins. She loves scrambled eggs. She is taking her time getting well.
My question is does everyone with a chicken with wry neck feed like I do or is there another way.

Hello again. I have brought my chicken with wry neck into the house. How do you feed them? So far I am hand feeding and using a syringe to give water and vitamins. She loves scrambled eggs. She is taking her time getting well.
My question is does everyone with a chicken with wry neck feed like I do or is there another way.
Do you have photos of her or video? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Can she eat on her own if you hold a bowl up to her beak or is her neck so twisted she still can't maneuver very well.

Tube feeding is an option https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

You can also try this

Back
Top Bottom