Hen with hernia or bulging bottom

rainbow25

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2015
While picking up my little lady this afternoon to show her to a friend. I notice a big bulge coming off her "butt". Sorry i don't know the proper term for it. The best way I can describe it as it looked as if her insides were on the outside. It didn't seem bloody but it was red if that makes sense. But her bottom seemed to still be contracting. She did lay this morning. So there isn't egg bound. I didn't have my phone on me to snap a picture right then. I ran in and grabbed it and the picture I got was with it starting to go back in. I'll attach the picture.

About an hour after I first noticed this I went back out to check on her and it was sticking out again. Her stools were kind of stuck in with it. So I pushed on it lightly and the stools fell out and then it went back inside. But also it still continued to contract. Does anyone have any help they can give me?

That looks like a prolapse...you can treat it with either Preparation H or some honey slathered over the area...the idea being to shrink the prolapse...she needs to be isolated as her flockmates may peck at the area and she should be kept in a darkened area to try and stop her from laying eggs...

If the weather is warm where you are...you can wash her backside in a betadine and water solution..before you apply Prep-H or honey...try to push the prolapse back inside her...it is very important to get the prolapse inside her as there is a risk of bacterial infection if she is not treated..it may take several attempts to get the prolapse to stay inside her...

Good luck

Keep us posted on her progress

Thank you so much! What would you suggest keeping her inside in? Im in Utah and it's pretty cold now. Like 42 degrees today during the day and about 25 at night.

Yes...keep her inside in a warm environment but in a darkened area...maybe a bathroom with the lights out...

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise! I've got her In a huge box in my bathroom with the lights out for the night. I gave her a warm bath and cleaned her with the betadine. Then used the preparationH. I've applied it twice since I first posted this. The prolapse seems to have gone back inside for now. But her "vent" is clearly still super swollen. Hopefully she improves a little overnight. I'm so thankful for this forum. I never thought I would have such a love for chickens. And it's so nice to have a helpful community to be a part of.

Can a prolapse cause my hen to be egg bound? I'm now worried there might be an egg stuck in her vent. When I checked her. About 1-2 in it feels hard like an egg. I've soaked her in a warm bath and let her sit in the dark for about an hour. She still hasn't laid. She did Lay yesterday though so I'm not sure if I'm feeling an egg or not.

Can a prolapse cause my hen to be egg bound? I'm now worried there might be an egg stuck in her vent. When I checked her. About 1-2 in it feels hard like an egg. I've soaked her in a warm bath and let her sit in the dark for about an hour. She still hasn't laid. She did Lay yesterday though so I'm not sure if I'm feeling an egg or not.

Where was the lump? If it was on the left it was her gizzard.

-Kathy

I thought it felt straight back but maybe I wasn't. We're trying to leave her alone in the bathroom with the light on for some peace and quiet.

Back
Top Bottom