Hen with hole in leg + leg discolouration

I took this hen to the vet today. The vet prescribed two weeks of Clavulox, and wants to see the hen again before the two weeks are up. At this stage, I don't know whether or not that will be possible.
This has certainly been a learning experience for me. I knew that bumblefoot and red mite infestations can be fatal if left untreated, but I thought that the worst consequence of untreated scaly leg mites was the loss of toes.

Despite being heavily treated with vet-prescribed antibiotics for over two weeks now, this hen still has an aggressive infection in her leg and the infection has not visibly weakened. She will be euthanised once the circulation to her foot is lost.

Despite being heavily treated with vet-prescribed antibiotics for over two weeks now, this hen still has an aggressive infection in her leg and the infection has not visibly weakened. She will be euthanised once the circulation to her foot is lost.
Sorry about your hen. :hugs
can you ask the vet about switching to a more powerful antibiotic, or maybe trying a combination of antibiotics?

Unfortunately, this hen had to be put to sleep today. The two vets who had been seeing this hen agreed that it was the best option for her at this stage. The hard, dry, black lump on her leg wasn't going away, and surgery was unlikely to help.
The vet who I had an appointment with today said that she knew of a takahe that had a similarly aggressive leg condition, and that it was treated for that condition much more vigorously than my hen was for its condition, but ultimately the takahe still had to be euthanised because of its condition.
It's especially unfortunate because this hen still ate a lot every day, right up to today, apart from when she had a mystery illness at the beginning of last year. The only indication that she gave that she was unwell/uncomfortable was two or three times when I saw her sitting down in unusual places.
I suppose that this condition might have been curable if I had taken her to the vet back in last October; when I first noticed that her leg looked abnormal, instead of assuming that she just had scaly leg mites again.
I will make another post about the necropsy once I hear details about it.
20200129_095428.jpg

16th of November, 2014 - 29th of January, 2020

Back
Top Bottom