Hen with identity issues?

charmed one

Show Me State Gal
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Near Truman Lake, Mo
I have 30 RIR hens 16 mths old. I bought them 1 day old and as soon as they were old enough, we butchered the roosters or gave them away. Yesterday I saw, what I thought was a hen, mounted atop of another hen. Just for a second, but she had ahold of the other hens neck and acted like she was a rooster. Now I have heard of hens crowing when there is an absence of roosters, but this? I looked her over good. She/he does not look like the roosters we got rid of. Could she be a he that looks like a hen? Could she just like girls? I have never gotten 30 eggs a day from these girls but have no way of seperating them out to see who is laying and who isn't. Someone plz tell me WHAT IS GOING ON?!
hu.gif

Behavior like mounting other hens is really common in the animal world and is usually about dominance. I've seen one of our older hens do it to a younger one that was being 'uppity' and too bold about the pecking order.

The same behavior can be seen in dogs and horses... I had a mare who would chastise other horses by mounting them-- even the geldings
smile.png

Yep, my lead hen started doing this after their roo was killed. That was months ago. She didn't do it long, but she is still the lead hen. Guess she made her point.

Back
Top Bottom