Hen with large abcess/infection - Graphic pictures

Watch the vet wrap. That stuff tends to tighten up over time, especially if it gets wet, and can cut off circulation. We use strips out of old sweatshirts and medical tape for our bandages now. Sometimes, we put the vet wrap over the sweatshirt strips to hold them on so it cannot tighten up too much.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will keep an eye on it. I'll be pulling her out and giving her the injection every day for the next 4 days, so I'll have a good opportunity to check it. By then it will need to be re-dressed as well. (assuming it stays on that long)

I use rolled gauze and sheet cotton under vetwrap and when putting on the vetwrap. Here is a video from a vet on how to use it. It's for horses, but the same should be true for poultry.

-Kathy

Swelling was about the same today, but it was dry, not weeping. Her skin was still hot to the touch also. She did not want to be caught and gave me a nice scratch on my wrist. Feisty little bugger, but her crop was empty. She doesn't want the egg either. I'm thinking about ordering the Cipro.

Last edited:
Swelling was about the same today, but it was dry, not weeping. Her skin was still hot to the touch also. She did not want to be caught and gave me a nice scratch on my wrist. Feisty little bugger, but her crop was empty. She doesn't want the egg either. I'm thinking about ordering the Cipro.
I like that she's feisty...but I'm unhappy that her appetite seems to be waning. Sounds like she's not separated? If she is, you might try top dressing some baby bird handfeeding formula (moistened) on to of her feed. The usually really like it, and it's chock full of avian goodies...it will often keep them going if they are compromised...until they're feeling better. Hope she ralies, Kel!

Swelling was about the same today, but it was dry, not weeping.  Her skin was still hot to the touch also.  She did not want to be caught and gave me a nice scratch on my wrist.  Feisty little bugger, but her crop was empty.  She doesn't want the egg either.  I'm thinking about ordering the Cipro.

Do you know how to tube feed?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom