Hen With One Eye Closed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hookshot, Jan 19, 2011.

1. hookshot

hookshot Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    I've got a hen who's eye has been closed for a couple of days now.

She's a mystery age (but at least one year old) light speckled sussex hen.

The eye seems to bug her, she wipes it in her feathers from time to time and also shakes her head a bit. She's also been more lethargic than usual, but still perfectly able to eat and drink and walk around.

As far as I can tell there's nothing coming out of her nose, no smell or anything like that, the eye seems to be the only thing affected other than her being a bit slower than usual.

She is able to open the eye, she does it from time to time, usually when startled, but never for long. She can't open it all the way, but as far as I can tell the eye does look normal. I'll try and get a better look tomorrow (dark here in Australia now). Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

If anyone can suggest what to do, I would greatly appreciate it. I'll get some eye drops tomorrow but I don't know what this could be caused by and if I need antibiotics, some special eye drops, or what. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Hi there, I am in Australia too.

I would flush the eye with Saline water, she could have got something in it, possibly a grass seed.

Hope she is ok.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    looks swollen, is she having any respiratory issues, sneezing, breathing troubles? I have read about swollen eyes, faces, due to sinus infections. lots of info here on that. At least isolate her from the others and give her some electrolyte solution in her water. good luck

4. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    I had the Exact same problem, my friend gave me some Terramycin. Its kinda like eye ointment. Believe me it works VERY GOOD!!!! You can get it at the Feed store pr cheaper on E-bay. Or you could just get a cloth with warm water and kinda damp her eye then get some Neosporine and rub it on there MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T SAY PAIN RELIEF. It will really hurt her eye.

5. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I had a similar issue only in a pullet. I concluded that her problem was most likely an injury from being pecked. I did use Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment and it seemed to help. In my case the bird sustained eye damage. She does well but has reduced vision in one eye. You can tell because she has depth perception issues. Her eye still waters but she has done well. She is almost two.

6. hookshot

Nov 12, 2010
    Thanks everyone, I'll go buy the stuff today and hopefully she'll get better [​IMG]

7. hookshot

Nov 12, 2010
    The eye drops helped, her eye is now back to normal.

What I'm still worried about is the fact that she's still lethargic. She'll wander around a little bit, but not with her normal energy. She's still eating and drinking, but as far as I can tell it's less than usual.

Does anyone know what could be causing this lethargy? She's the only one of the hens who's got it, and she's been this way for well over a week now.

edit: she also seems to have lost a bit of weight, but I'm not sure how much as she was always small compared to the other hens.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  8. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    If it was an infection, it could cause her metabolism to be out of wack. You may want to up her carbs, but as long as she is eating and drinking, she will probably bounce back OK.

Good luck and thanks for the update.

9. hookshot

Nov 12, 2010
    OK, thanks for that. I'm getting her some yogurt and will add some extra carbs to her diet in the hopes that will help!

10. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Similar thing happening to my Australorp (the one who doesn't have the pale comb issue!) She went upstairs to the coop midday, away from the flock, but i moved her to the dog crate ("sick coop") and fed her yogurt with oats - she's enjoying it but protesting LOUDLY about being away from her sisters. It's just one eye, but it's definitely bugging her. Will try the terramycin ointment. Thanks very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by