Hen with pale comb and wattle. What remedy do I use

oegbantamsftw

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
I have noticed since 9/6/13 I let a day pass hoping when she slept she would get rid of what she has. There was a lot of heat the week before or she hasn't been eating. Shes not infested with any lice or mites. She isn't molting either and she laid an egg yesterday. She is a old English bantam and young and is taking care of a the only cockerel that came from her clutch of 4 eggs. The cockerel is barely competing 3 months he was born in June ,near after my birthday, but he doesn't show any behaviors his mom has.

I would worm your flock with a good broad-spectrum wormer like Valbazen, SafeGuard, or the Worminator (it contains Flubenvet and is what I use). If possible, don't use Wazine or Ivermectin, as Wazine is only effective on roundworms, and lots of worms have become resistant to Ivermectin. You can usually find wormers at livestock supply stores, and the Worminator can be ordered from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584

I would also recommend putting some poultry vitamins (like Sav-a-Chic) and/or probiotics in your hen's water. I personally use probiotics that are sold for many animals, called Probios. Offer your hen some treats like scrambled eggs, applesauce, moistened layer feed, and mealworms to encourage her to eat and get her strength up.

Apple cider has been around since the bible days and used for medicine. I don't know of any worm that can swim upstream in a chickens guts against apple cider vinegar. IT's not the top choice because feed stores and vets have to make a living too. If used on a regular basis, it works great.

Apple cider has been around since the bible days and used for medicine. I don't know of any worm that can swim upstream in a chickens guts against apple cider vinegar. IT's not the top choice because feed stores and vets have to make a living too. If used on a regular basis, it works great.

Pure apple cider vinegar will kill worms, even the regular ACV from a grocery store. It'll burn the chickens throat all the way down to its guts...the bird will suffer...that's why it's diluted and ineffective as a wormer when diluted. Drink a cup of it yourself undiluted and see what happens.

I take a tablespoon when ever I get heart burn, It puts back the natural acid. I put 1/4 cup to 5 gallons water on a regular basis for my flock, and I don't have a worm problem. I been using it for over a decade, and my parents and grand parents all used the same. My chickens are all healthy as can be. I am not saying it will work miracles for deathly ill chickens, but if you use it twice a month you'll never need anything else for worms. It is an old remedy that was here before feed stores and vets.

Back
Top Bottom