Hen with pasty butt/constipated?

BuckeyeFoodie

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
So I have a Silkie pullet who has been living in my laundry room for a little while (putting weight back on her after my feed debacle I talked about in another thread), and I noticed yesterday that she was straining to poop. checked her vent and she was pasted over. She is not prolapsed. I soaked her in warm water to get off as much as I could to clear her vent, plus gave her olive oil to help soften her stool as she was obviously constipated, but she still has hard crusted poop attached to her skin on the underside of her vent. Soaking did nothing to loosen it, I applied Olive oil to it last night and this morning, but that's not doing anything either. Does anyone have suggestions?

Edited to add: I suspect this issue stems from having been on three courses of antibiotics in two months: the first for her alone, the second and third with/for her cage-mate. I'm going to give probiotics.

How old is she? I would give her probiotics in the diet daily for a few days, then twice a week. Today, you could offer some chilled coconut oil cut into small slivers to eat, about a tespoonful. Mineral oil is also good, but give it in food. You don’t want her to choke on oil. Also you can put on a disposable glove, lubricate a finger, and insert it into the vent an inch or so, to lubricate and break up any solids or crust inside the vent. Being on antibiotics can cause a fungal overgrowth or yeast infection, and using an antifungal medicine such as Medistatin/Nystatin might be helpful. Some people even use miconazole (monistat) cream orally.

How old is she? I would give her probiotics in the diet daily for a few days, then twice a week. Today, you could offer some chilled coconut oil cut into small slivers to eat, about a tespoonful. Mineral oil is also good, but give it in food. You don’t want her to choke on oil. Also you can put on a disposable glove, lubricate a finger, and insert it into the vent an inch or so, to lubricate and break up any solids or crust inside the vent. Being on antibiotics can cause a fungal overgrowth or yeast infection, and using an antifungal medicine such as Medistatin/Nystatin might be helpful. Some people even use miconazole (monistat) cream orally.

She is about 10 months old. I am tube-feeding the oil. Right now the big issue is trying to get her vent clean. She has so much crusted to the exterior that I can't remove. I'm going to try soaking her for a long period of time tomorrow (my day off), but a half-hour soak didn't do much. I'm clearing her vent twice a day...

Back
Top Bottom