Hen with persistent infection in face/cheek

I just now discovered and read through your entire thread. Your hen and all those who cared for and tried to help her fought the good fight, & never gave up on trying to heal her. I hope u find Peace and comfort in knowing you did all u possibly could.​

A sad end to this story. Two Strike, our hen with the infection, was scheduled for surgery today and when I got the flock up at 7:00 this morning she was one of the first off the roost as usual and headed out for some food and water and foraging time in the garden.

When I went to collect her to take to the vet 2 hours later I couldn't find her with the flock, and discovered her dead at the edge of our compost heap - a spot in the garden favoured by all our hens. She hadn't been gone long but was clearly departed.

I've been asking her to let me know what she wants, and she made that pretty clear this morning. No more intervention. Not the miracle I was hoping for but an end to any suffering she was experiencing, either way.

Thanks again to everyone who provided support here and encouraged me to keep trying. She was a lovely hen and worth the efforts we made to try to save her. I was new to chicken keeping when she got her little wound last fall and this experience definitely taught me to treat even minor wounds, knowledge my flock will benefit from in years to come.
Sorry to hear about Two Strike:(

Back
Top Bottom