hen with poopy bottom - what to do?

libbybeth

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 1, 2007
Corydon, IN
I have a hen with clumps of poop hanging off her rump. I've never had this problem with any of our other hens and I'm not sure what the issue with this one is. What can I do about it? She is a very shy Cucou Maran and generally doesn't want to be petted, handled. Any suggestions? I'm worried it could start to cause her problems.

I'm afraid you're going to have to catch her. You'll want to check to make sure she doesn't have worms or mites (look in the vent area). If not, it could just be a snowballing problem. I've had this trouble with a hen before, and it was easily solved by trimming off the messy feathers and removing some of the fluff around the vent.

Since she doesn't like to be caught, I'd be prepared with some sharp scissors the first time you catch her.

Quote:
Definitely have a partner to work with too...easier on you and the bird. Football hold her backward. Or if you have to do it alone, wrap her snuggly in a towel with rear parts exposed. Good luck!

Handling her at bedtime might also help. . . if you can get a helper to hold a good, bright flashlight for you so you can have a good look at her bottom.

I keep a very sharp - - but partially blunt-tipped - - pair of scissors from a dissecting kit for trimming hen "tops and bottoms." (I keep Silkies too, and they need facial trimming to see.) The med-kit scissors work very well, and they don't catch on the feathers.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom