Hen with possible hurt leg

Melissa Malone

Chirping
Jun 30, 2021
Coloma, California
I have a 12 week old Blue Copper Maran that normally rules the roost. I noticed day before yesterday that she was laying down and that is not her norm. However she did walk back into the coop at night and I noticed she was limping. I checked her for bumble foot, and didnt noticed any direct signs and figure she must have sprained it so I am keeping an eye on her. Today I noticed she is bedded down still eating and drinking if its close to her but not wanting to walk around at all. I can pick her up and I looked over her feet and they appear normal no swelling that I can see but it obviously hurts her. She did not get up and walk into the run today and seems to just want to rest. I brought her in the house and put her in the brooder so she can quietly rest (not to mention she can get out of the 100 degree california heat). I did give her a little baby asprin but was wondering if there is anything more I should do or just let her rest and keep an eye on her? thanks

I have a 12 week old Blue Copper Maran that normally rules the roost. I noticed day before yesterday that she was laying down and that is not her norm. However she did walk back into the coop at night and I noticed she was limping. I checked her for bumble foot, and didnt noticed any direct signs and figure she must have sprained it so I am keeping an eye on her. Today I noticed she is bedded down still eating and drinking if its close to her but not wanting to walk around at all. I can pick her up and I looked over her feet and they appear normal no swelling that I can see but it obviously hurts her. She did not get up and walk into the run today and seems to just want to rest. I brought her in the house and put her in the brooder so she can quietly rest (not to mention she can get out of the 100 degree california heat). I did give her a little baby asprin but was wondering if there is anything more I should do or just let her rest and keep an eye on her? thanks
Shes not getting up at all now. I rechecked her feet and still dont see any sores but im gong to treat her feet just in case its early bumblefoot.

I would not put him back with the rest. Chickens will often attack an odd acting bird. There's probably no harm in penning him next to the rest as if it's contagious they are already exposed.

There are many strains of mareks. Not all are covered by a vaccine.

I would not put him back with the rest. Chickens will often attack an odd acting bird. There's probably no harm in penning him next to the rest as if it's contagious they are already exposed.

There are many strains of mareks. Not all are covered by a vaccine.
I have him in the house in a large brooder. I don’t have any way to keep him out with them. Too hot to keep him all day in the coop and I have a fully enclosed covered run but I wouldn’t want to keep him outside in that all night. My chickens are pretty spoiled 🤣

Hi, my Jen has the exact same issue at the moment and I know she’s not broody, I don’t think, she seems to be walking funny and eating and drinking when we put it next to her but she just stays inside the nesting area and won’t move much, I don’t know what’s wrong or if it’s her legs or an underlying issue, did you figure out what’s wrong with yours?

Hi, my Jen has the exact same issue at the moment and I know she’s not broody, I don’t think, she seems to be walking funny and eating and drinking when we put it next to her but she just stays inside the nesting area and won’t move much, I don’t know what’s wrong or if it’s her legs or an underlying issue, did you figure out what’s wrong with yours?
Unfortunately we had to put our girl down. Im pretty sure she hurt her leg somehow and after a month of trying to rehabilitate her she wasn't getting any better.

Back
Top Bottom