Hen with problem eggs/chicks

Jen Leigh

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2023
I have an 8 month old white silkie hen that lays eggs a few grams shy of a 'large' egg and she lays between 4-6 eggs a week. I had an Australorp hen go broody at 7 months old and I gave her 6 eggs, one was a white silkie egg. She hatched 5, the white silkie chick pipped and started zipping (it was going toward the pointy end, something I didn't understand at the time) then it died without hatching. A few weeks later I bought an incubator and set 12 eggs as a learning experience for me. Three of the eggs were my white silkies eggs. Late on day 21 two pipped, next morning one sounded really weak so I started the zipping process and it hatched out about 3 hours later. The second one had it's beak too far out and while it had started zipping it was stalled. Helped with it some then realized it was turning to the pointy end and it wasn't going to be able to hatch. I left it for about 6 hours though to give it a shot, then had to help it again, this time a lot before it could get out. It's umbilical cord was thick and I think it pipped too early on its own to actually hatch. Three days later these two are running around the brooder like they own the place. The last one pipped on day 22 but it pipped near the pointy end, and by the time I figured out what had happened it had already passed.

My first instinct has been to get rid of her since I want to breed silkies, for pets not show. She's a really good hen though and she's a favorite of my white rooster so her babies are a gorgeous white. I don't want to have to assist all her chicks in hatching, but I could since I know which eggs are hers and I know to look for issues. I did lose 2 of 4. My question is, since she's only 8 months old would her eggs get better viability as she ages or is it likely a genetic issue so I should just replace her?

All the hens have the same feed/scratch once a day, then they free range the rest of the day. Fresh water is always available all around the property (they wander on about 5 acres, partially wooded). None of the other hens have an issue and I just hatched 5 other silkie eggs in the same incubator with no issues, no need for assistance.

That being said, I do not have back up thermometers or hydrometers, which is something I didn't realize I needed this first time. I will when I set more eggs though.

All the hens have the same feed/scratch once a day, then they free range the rest of the day. Fresh water is always available all around the property (they wander on about 5 acres, partially wooded). None of the other hens have an issue and I just hatched 5 other silkie eggs in the same incubator with no issues, no need for assistance.

That being said, I do not have back up thermometers or hydrometers, which is something I didn't realize I needed this first time. I will when I set more eggs though.
What is the feed? Silkies sometimes need more.

What is the feed? Silkies sometimes need more.
It's the all flock feed from Rural King. In addition they get a fruit/vegetable/grain mix in the afternoons. Things like tomato scraps, bananas going bad but not bad, grapes, cooked rice/pasta, scraps that aren't sweets although they will, occasionally get a peanut butter cookie. They also have access to egg shells all day every day. But again, I have 3 silkie hens, 3 eggs from one, 2 eggs from the other were set with this hens eggs at lockdown time. The other 5 are smaller (my other hens are too) but hatched without issue. Could it still be the feed for this one? She's out with the Australorps free ranging and almost as big as the Australorps, while the other two hens stay closer to the barn, because the other hens have suffered hawk attacks.

2x Treats shouldn't be more than 10% of their feed, it decreases the nutrition from their feed which it better for them then treats. Treats are not needed, I learned that the hard way. I continue to ferment their feed & for "treats" they get a hand full of dry feed to scratch around. No issues since.

More an incubation issue than stock.

When I say treats it's fruits and veggies, mostly raw, uncooked for the nutrients they get. They get sunflower seeds once a week or every other week, pumpkin seeds etc but it's all raw, grown right here for them. They don't eat much feed, probably 64 ounces a day at best for 17 full grown chickens. There's always some left over in the bowl. They prefer digging in the forest and finding berries to the feed.

I'd think incubator too but I lost the one under a mama hen and it was hatching when it died, like the others in the incubator. That's why I thought it might be age or genetics.

When I say treats it's fruits and veggies, mostly raw, uncooked for the nutrients they get
We understand, but they are still treats.
They fill up the crops and keep the bird from eating enough feed. Chickens can't absorb all the nutrients from vegetation the way ruminates can, their digestive systems aren't designed for that. Unless you're a cow or something, steamed veggies ate healthier. :]

Back
Top Bottom