Hen with receding feather line on head - lethargic

lovesrudy

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Center Moriches, L I - NY
First off - I feel so lucky to have found this web site - I didn't know I was in the company of so many other chicken owners!

I have 30 assorted breeds of hens. 24 of my girls are all just over one year old - one of my Plymouth Rocks for the past 4 days has appeared lethargic, just staying in the coop.. the feathers on her head appear to be receding, showing more of her red crown - her eyes seem a little lazy as well. I have no idea where to begin to help her out.

Thank you for any information that can be shared!

Yes, I agree she sounds like she may be bug bite anemic . Could she be have been exposed to lice, mites, (any free ranging exposes them to wild birds that are potential carriers or even sparrows that get into their cage), or do you have lots of mosquitoes or black flies bothering your chickens?

Head could be bald from her scratching bites or bugs on her head which has the thinnest feathers for flying bugs to get through.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for helping - I have to sneak out of work on my lunch hour and go check her out....... if it is lice or mites.. do you suppose dusting her will aggravate her symptoms?

Do dust for lice or mites on all of them not just the one hen. Also do you have a rooster that is mating your hens, sometimes they grab the backs of the hens heads and this will cause a receding feather line. Plus she may be Broody it's that time of year for Broody hens.

Ok - did a bit of an inspection - - no sign of mites.. but my over 40-eyes need to get a better peek - there were quite a few flies.. and she and one of my Rhode Island Reds are looking a bit broody and protective.
Do you think it would be ok to hang a fly tape AND dust them anyway?

It won't hurt to dust them at all. Hang the fly tape up where they can't get into it, had a friend that hung those once and she had a hen get into the tape. Had a terrible time getting her unstuck!

Back
Top Bottom