Hen with runny poo for more than a week now. *update, she died*

Littlecimarron18

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Colorado
I m unsure what is wrong with my black australop! she has nasty runny poo and she smells SOOOO bad. she just wants to fluff up and chill on the roosts most of the time. what can i do for her?

Last edited:
Check her poop & report it back to us. What's the consistency? Color? Content? Any signs of worms or blood?

Separate her & feed her feed with yogurt. Keep her warm and let us know what's going on.

ok so she still has the runny poo, its slightly green and alot of white, like more then normal. its stuck all over her bottom. she refuses to eat anything i give her, (at least while i am there) im working on seperating her out tonite. no signs of blood or worms

shes breathing fine, and i dusted for mites last week. she smells SO SO SO bad thou blech!!. i need to give her a bath but its too cold outside

she has Green Diarrhea and must be doctored
bacterial infection I will list some points here:
All of these points are like a chain. If you have all the points, the chain will be strong. If you leave one or two out, the chain will be weak and might not work.

first, the right medicine: If you have a feed store near you that has Neomycin, that's going to be your best bet. Gentamycin is good too, but you're probably not going to find it. you can get Neomycin for cattle at any feedstores near you.

Second, fixing the underlying problem:
Now, anytime you have any gut problems, the health of the beneficial bacteria that should naturally occur in the gut should be considered. It's usually when the populations of those good bacterial decrease that we see an INcreased in bad bacteria, thus gut illness. The good bacteria literally crowd out bad bacteria, and some even secrete substances that ward off over abundances of bad bacteria.

So during illness, and really any time there is stress, you'll want to increase the number of good bacteria in your bird's gut. You can do this quite easily through the use of probiotics available over the counter, and some even at the grocery store.

In this case, with a probability of E. coli, you'll want to find a "probiotic" that contains live cultures of Lactobacilus (most commonly lactobacilus acidophilus) as well
as B. bifidum. Bifidum is one of those bacteria that secretes stuff to ward off bad bacteria, in this case it specifically wards off E. coli.

Those two live bacteria are usually found in Walmart yogurt. Just make sure it's NOT artificially sweetened.
(Birds don't do aspartame well.) You'll want to encourage your bird to somehow take 1 teaspoon per day any time during medication.

Third, nutrition during illness:
You can mix it up with boiled/mashed egg yolk for a combination of good high protein for healing, super nutrition from the egg, and the good bacteria from the yogurt. Plus, this treat is soft and easily dissolved.

When birds are sick, their crops/gizzards slow down, so it's really easy for their crops to back up and get impacted. Because of this, you'll want to feed crumbles and otherwise very easily dissolved feeds.

Discontinue grains and whole pellets until the bird is well. If you can only get whole pellets, put them in the blender. In these times, baby crumbles work great by the way. They're a little higher protein, no extra calcium to interfere with antibiotics, usually sold by the pound, and very easily digested. Nathalie Ross

emal me PM Me for the natural proiotic wet mash

thank you guys for all of your help. The hen just died thou. Turns out she had worms, found them about 3 days ago and tried to give her wormer yesterday but it was too late.

Back
Top Bottom