1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with slightly bare back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peckyscotch, Oct 16, 2015.

1. peckyscotch

peckyscotch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    My light Sussex hen has got a sort of bare area on her back with basically no feathers although there seems to be the bottom part of some feathers there. Don't know what i should do so was hoping for some [​IMG][/IMG]help. Hope the pictures show up!
    Also there is a cockerel in there with them but none of my other hens have this and it's been there for about 4 months

2. peckyscotch

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    [​IMG]

3. peckyscotch

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    [​IMG]

4. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Looks like rooster damage. Sometimes they have a preferred lady who gets more attention than the others. I would make sure it's clean, and put a hen saddle on her until the feathers fill back in. The saddle will protect her back until then. There are directions for making your own saddles on this site, and some retailers that sell them. Depending on how many hens you have, you may consider increasing your hen to rooster ratio. But she just may be the favorite girl. And some roosters are just rough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by