Hen with soft egg busted in vent

Update:

LC is pooping - yay! It is small, but she has been picking at her food, unless it is a treat. I think she is not liking being separated from the flock.
Let her out of her enclosure, she immediately went into the coop and into a laying box. I was hoping she would lay and I could get a look at her egg. BUT...broody momma, who likes to have the coop for her and her babies to go in and out of, went in and pecked her on the head and she came running out. UGH. She was definitely not interested in laying in the makeshift box we had in her enclosure.

Got momma/babies entertained and let LC back into the coop and shut the access door. Now she is just sitting on a roost. I will give her another 30 minutes to see if she moves. If not, I will let her out so she can peck around with the flock. I have her banded, so I will know which one to give the Amoxicillin to when it gets here. I only have Black Australorps, so banding is necessary or else I would be guessing.

Here is her poop - sorry. But it does look like there is still some yolk she is pushing out.
Update:

My hen seems to be doing well. She is eating and pooping fine. She hasn't laid another egg and I don't feel one in her system, but I do have a question.

Today is day five on amoxicillin. Her poops sometimes still comes out with yellow urates. Sometimes they are white and sometimes I still see yellow.

Does amoxicillin cause yellow urates? Might it still be egg yolk coming out? Might it be bacteria still working its way out? Should I not worry?

Thank you.

My girl finished her 7 day amoxicillin regiment today. Waited until everyone was roosting and added her to the coop. She has been separated with my other hen who was attacked by a hawk. They have been spending days outside in a pen "mingling" with the others. Rooster is good to bring the flock to hang around the pen from time to time during the day. Now my attacked gal is by herself again. She probably still has a week or two before I can let her with rooster. The hole in her neck was huge, but she too is doing well.

She is sleeping soundly - she seems content - and we will just have to watch how everything goes in the morning. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126-191205~2.png
    Screenshot_20230126-191205~2.png
    984 KB · Views: 5
How did she do through the night, and this morning when they all woke together?
Thanks for asking. She did well through the night. Rooster chased her around a little bit, but it all settled down quickly. She is distancing herself a little, but showed up quickly to get a morning treat with the flock. Overall, things are going well. :)

Got this in the nest box today. I have no way of knowing, but thinking this is the first egg my soft shell gal laid since she had the busted one in her that we treated her for. Yesterday she was acting off and her wattles were really pale. We gave her some vit e and b and another calcium tablet just to give her a boost. She looks/acts better today and we found this misshapen egg. ??? It is hard to tell who is in the nest boxes b/c all our chickens are black. She does have a purple bracelet on, but can't see that in the camera when they are sitting in the nest box. She did reappear from the coop at some point in the morning. Hoping we can get her feeling 100% and move on!

Attachments

• PXL_20230203_194603240.jpg
    PXL_20230203_194603240.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230203_194558882.jpg
    PXL_20230203_194558882.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom