Hen with soft egg busted in vent

So you don't want to cause a prolapse (pull the vent inside out) but the egg material does need to come out. The intestines and the oviduct share the same exit hole so if egg material is coming out it is at least partially blocking the intestines.

Since she is trying to lay and you've already given calcium I'd make sure she's had a good drink of water and then leave her for a bit in the nest to try and get the rest out. If it's still not coming out by the end of the day I think you're going to have to pull it out and hope the prolapse goes back in without any trouble.

I don't know if trying to lubricate her vent would help or not and it seems like you might just end up pushing the egg back in, but if you do go in that direction I would use vaseline rather than an oil as oil can go rancid.
Thank you.

Hopefully she will expel the membrane. Some have described the membrane going back inside the vent, but hopefully you will find it expelled. They will usually eat any expelled membranes or shells, before you can get to them, though.

Hopefully she will expel the membrane. Some have described the membrane going back inside the vent, but hopefully you will find it expelled. They will usually eat any expelled membranes or shells, before you can get to them, though.
Just now - was able to pull out remaining shell. I don't think it was coming out on its own. It came pretty readily - vent looks in good shape - will keep an eye on this over the next few days. Flushed her vent with 30% white vinegar to 70% water. Will keep her in her own space until I can monitor her poops and make sure she is doing that well. Plan on allowing her to sleep in big coop with others and then separating her during the day until I am sure she is doing okay. Amoxicillian coming hopefully by Weds. Here is what came out. Not the flaky stuff, just the shell. Has some blood in middle.

Attachments

• PXL_20230115_221517755.jpg
    PXL_20230115_221517755.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 7
Glad that she expelled the membrane. Calcium for a few days might help if she is calcium deficient. I would not recommend flushing the vent again. That can introduce fecal material up into the oviduct. There are some very old posts that recommend that, including one of mine, but most people don’t.

Glad that she expelled the membrane. Calcium for a few days might help if she is calcium deficient. I would not recommend flushing the vent again. That can introduce fecal material up into the oviduct. There are some very old posts that recommend that, including one of mine, but most people don’t.
Okay. Thank you.

She has pooped - watery, but that was to be expected with the flush. Hopefully, it did not force fecal matter into the oviduct. What will the symptoms be if that happens? Will the antibiotics help with ill effects if that did happen? Next time I will make sure to get 2 opinions before I move forward with any actions.

Will start her on 250 mg of Amoxicillin x2 day when I get it.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Well, I have heard that some vets have also performed a vent flush. There is a just a risk of introducing bacteria into the oviduct. Treating with the amoxicillin may help prevent it from either the egg braking or the flush.

You must be quite relieved. So glad she passed the shell.
The chicken folks here are so hekpful!
Yes, very relieved. I agree. I have learned so much about keeping chickens here. I am and avid reader so I always look over post so that I might be prepared if something happens. Two things happened in one day - this and a hawk attack. I feel I was at least somewhat prepared from the information so freely shared on this site. :)

Yesterday we have a stressful day. One of my hens was attacked by what we think is a hawk. That hen is being taken care of. This morning we did a check on everyone to make sure no one else was hurt. We found one hen with a soft egg busted and hanging out the vent.

She is one of our older gals who lays regularly, although everyone has slowed b/c of winter. Not sure if this happened due to stress. She was one that was hiding yesterday we we discovered the attacked hen.

Our flock is on starter crumbles b/c of the rooster and the hens have free option oyster shells available at all feeding stations.

I gave her a calcium + D3 this morning. Is there anything else I can do to help her? It looks like most of the egg shell is out.

The pictures below are before and after the cleaning, plus the calcium I am giving.
Update:

LC is pooping - yay! It is small, but she has been picking at her food, unless it is a treat. I think she is not liking being separated from the flock.
Let her out of her enclosure, she immediately went into the coop and into a laying box. I was hoping she would lay and I could get a look at her egg. BUT...broody momma, who likes to have the coop for her and her babies to go in and out of, went in and pecked her on the head and she came running out. UGH. She was definitely not interested in laying in the makeshift box we had in her enclosure.

Got momma/babies entertained and let LC back into the coop and shut the access door. Now she is just sitting on a roost. I will give her another 30 minutes to see if she moves. If not, I will let her out so she can peck around with the flock. I have her banded, so I will know which one to give the Amoxicillin to when it gets here. I only have Black Australorps, so banding is necessary or else I would be guessing.

Here is her poop - sorry. But it does look like there is still some yolk she is pushing out.

Attachments

• PXL_20230116_213219183.jpg
    PXL_20230116_213219183.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230116_213149984.jpg
    PXL_20230116_213149984.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom