Hen with soft egg busted in vent

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
Yesterday we have a stressful day. One of my hens was attacked by what we think is a hawk. That hen is being taken care of. This morning we did a check on everyone to make sure no one else was hurt. We found one hen with a soft egg busted and hanging out the vent.

She is one of our older gals who lays regularly, although everyone has slowed b/c of winter. Not sure if this happened due to stress. She was one that was hiding yesterday we we discovered the attacked hen.

Our flock is on starter crumbles b/c of the rooster and the hens have free option oyster shells available at all feeding stations.

I gave her a calcium + D3 this morning. Is there anything else I can do to help her? It looks like most of the egg shell is out.

The pictures below are before and after the cleaning, plus the calcium I am giving.

Attachments

• PXL_20230115_135441749.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230115_135441749.MP.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20230115_142311786.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230115_142311786.MP.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230115_150334820.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230115_150334820.MP.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 10
I would try to get the rest of the egg membrane out by pulling gently. Have you seen any soft shell eggs recently in nest boxes? Get her vent area cleaned up with soap and water. Consider starting some antibiotics such as amoxicillin to prevent any infection from the broken egg. I would use the calcium for a few more days. Sorry about the attack, and hopefully your hens will recover.

I would try to get the rest of the egg membrane out by pulling gently. Have you seen any soft shell eggs recently in nest boxes? Get her vent area cleaned up with soap and water. Consider starting some antibiotics such as amoxicillin to prevent any infection from the broken egg. I would use the calcium for a few more days. Sorry about the attack, and hopefully your hens will recover.
Thank you. I though I read not to pull the egg out b/c it might damage her internally. I will try after I tend to the other hen this morning. I need to order some amoxicillin. Which brand do you suggest?

Have you tried gently trying to remove it?
Have you tried gently trying to remove it?
Thank you. I though I read not to pull the egg out b/c it might damage her internally. I will try after I tend to the other hen this morning. I need to order some amoxicillin. Which brand do you suggest?

Okay, fish store does not carry Aqua Mox. Ordered on line - should get by Weds. Just tried to gently pull the soft shell out, but the vent started turning inside out so I stopped. Can I put some coconut oil just inside the vent or give her some to eat to help lubricate things? Am I being too gentle? She was in the nest box, so maybe she will lay or feels like she needs to lay?

Going to separate her in an area of our run so I can see what her poops look like. When I pulled gently some liquid and small/thin poops came out.

What do you think @Eggcessive ?

So you don't want to cause a prolapse (pull the vent inside out) but the egg material does need to come out. The intestines and the oviduct share the same exit hole so if egg material is coming out it is at least partially blocking the intestines.

Since she is trying to lay and you've already given calcium I'd make sure she's had a good drink of water and then leave her for a bit in the nest to try and get the rest out. If it's still not coming out by the end of the day I think you're going to have to pull it out and hope the prolapse goes back in without any trouble.

I don't know if trying to lubricate her vent would help or not and it seems like you might just end up pushing the egg back in, but if you do go in that direction I would use vaseline rather than an oil as oil can go rancid.

Back
Top Bottom