Hen with spurs? Blood spot on shells and yoke.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dao1947, Feb 21, 2012.

1. dao1947

dao1947 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    I have a Welsumer chicken by the name of McNugget. McNugget has spurs on her/his legs. Do hens grow spurs or is she a rooster in disguise? McNugget never crows. She/he was almost killed when she/he was hatched 1 1/2 years ago, by the hen that hatched her/him. My daughter saved McNugget and we kept her safe until she/he was large enough to take are of herself. I also have been getting eggs with a blood spot on the yoke. Does this mean they are ferilized? Is it possible for McNugget to have both male and female sex organs or be an underdeveloped rooster, and to be the source of the possibly ferilized eggs. I also got an egg yesterday with spots of blood on the shell. Do I have a hen who is headed for a prolapse?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Blood spots (meat spots) on the yolk do not indicate fertilization. And it's a normal thing. The egg is safe to eat.

A little blood on the shell can happen with a pullet laying. Not to worry...

Can you post a picture of McNugget for us?

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have a hen with big, nasty spurs. They get them on occasion, I don't think you have anything for Ripley's.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I absolutely guarantee that if you are getting eggs - it's NOT a rooster. (or you'd be very rich)

And yes, hens can grow spurs.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Here's a pic of poor old Nessie. Even her girlfriend on the right has one leg with a spur. Maybe something in the water [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by