Hen with spurs

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Spurs are normal, even in a flock with roosters. Hen spurs are definitely genetic, for example, Ancona hens commonly have spurs. Spurs are controlled more by genetics than dominance though it might have a factor.
My spur sporting Ancona hen is also my crowing hen. She is one of the senior roosters favorites.

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Well, you know, some roosters like a more masculine hen.:p
The first time I heard her I had no idea who it was. I thought some nimrod tossed a rooster over the fence into the pen because I didn't recognize the voice. It's a terrible crow but a crow nonetheless.
I managed to get her on video doing it. The video and audio are off. You can see her crow at the very beginning of the video and hear her a second or two later...

Amer

Advocate of Shiloh
Premium Feather Member
Nov 8, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
The first time I heard her I had no idea who it was. I thought some nimrod tossed a rooster over the fence into the pen because I didn't recognize the voice. It's a terrible crow but a crow nonetheless.
I managed to get her on video doing it. The video and audio are off. You can see her crow at the very beginning of the video and hear her a second or two later...
Pretty cool! Too many roosters at my place for any crowing Annies to emerge here, lol.

Top Bottom