Hen with spurs

Spurs are normal, even in a flock with roosters. Hen spurs are definitely genetic, for example, Ancona hens commonly have spurs. Spurs are controlled more by genetics than dominance though it might have a factor.
My spur sporting Ancona hen is also my crowing hen. She is one of the senior roosters favorites.

Well, you know, some roosters like a more masculine hen.:p
The first time I heard her I had no idea who it was. I thought some nimrod tossed a rooster over the fence into the pen because I didn't recognize the voice. It's a terrible crow but a crow nonetheless.
I managed to get her on video doing it. The video and audio are off. You can see her crow at the very beginning of the video and hear her a second or two later...

The first time I heard her I had no idea who it was. I thought some nimrod tossed a rooster over the fence into the pen because I didn't recognize the voice. It's a terrible crow but a crow nonetheless.
I managed to get her on video doing it. The video and audio are off. You can see her crow at the very beginning of the video and hear her a second or two later...
Pretty cool! Too many roosters at my place for any crowing Annies to emerge here, lol.

Back
Top Bottom