Hen with spurs

I have 2 polish chickens with spurs. They're laying so they're hens, just they have very small spurs. I hope it doesn't stop them from being good in shows. I guess I could still do showmanship with her though!

I forgot about this thread.
roll.png
A few months ago, a stray dog jumped my fence and grabbed a 2 year-old hen. The one with some wicked spurs! Big mistake. Although the dog ripped a good mouthful of feathers off Athena's side and rear, the dog got one nasty hole on her face. I do believe Athena's spurs helped save her life.

I'm glad to see this thread. I noticed today that my 3 and a half year old Dominique hen Tina has some crazy-long spurs. They look sharp too. None of the others has any at all, and while I believe Tina has stopped laying, she used to be an extremely good layer, and is definitely at the top of the pecking order. I've had her the longest of all my chickens. Is this a thing that develops with age, or dominance, or what? I wonder if she's had 'em all along and I never noticed?

I see that a lot of people trim spurs... will it hurt anything not to? She doesn't need them, as we have too many predators to let them free range, but I still don't want to attempt to trim them if I don't have to.

Quote:
I was wondering about this my "Gracie" My buff laces polish has larger spurs than my roosters do shes older thou but I haven't seen her lay a single egg. she has teeny tiny cups if you look, never noticed them till last week, we have had her close to a year now. I don't know much about the breed but she is more like a dog than a chicken, shes a special gal!

Our mixed cukoo miran(Jeckle) had a 1" spur. Shes gonna be hen-boss soon.She challenges No-see-her( partridge rock) every year,and loses,but not this next spring.

Hi I am new here and I am new to raising chickens. I have two sex links two buffs and eleven RID's and two beautiful RID roos.My question is, the roos have spurs and can you remove them?, and if you can how do you remove them? They are not really long yet but I have seen some really big spurs on some roosters before. Am worried about my hens.

Back
Top Bottom